Thread: gigmasters.com
View Single Post
Old 04-20-12, 12:13 AM   #14
Mike Weakley

About half of the gigs I get through GigMasters are corporate events, and about half are private parties. Very few, however, (less than 10%) are within a 5 mile radius from where I live. Most of the bookings I get are 20-50 miles away, but I have had some that were more than 100 miles away. I simply charge more for those to make it worth my while. Most people I've dealt with aren't willing to pay that extra money. But for the few who do, the money can be really sweet.

You can not bring in your own references to start with. They only allow people who have hired you through GigMasters, and paid the commission fee, to post any testimonials & ratings. This dramatically cuts down on the number of bogus references that would surely be posted otherwise. I'm not sure about being able to keep your ratings if you rejoin after your membership expires. But they have a really good customer service department, and I'm sure they'd promptly answer that question if you emailed them.

While I couldn't make a living solely off the gigs I currently book on GigMasters, I am able to nicely supplement my income because of them. The great thing about them is that you get to pick & choose which events you want to bid on. You are not forced to bid on every gig that comes your way. If you get a request for a birthday party & they only have a $50 budget, then don't bid on it. It's that simple. But if a really cool corporate gig comes up that you'd love to do & it's 100 miles away... then put in a really high bid. If you happen to be exactly what the client is looking for, there's a good chance you'll get the job; and the money! I do know some entertainers who hate the site & say it's not worth it to them. But for me, it's definitely worth it.

Mike Weakley
www.StiltFun.com
www.Facebook.com/StiltFun

Last edited by Mike Weakley; 04-20-12 at 12:15 AM. Reason: forgot signature
Mike Weakley is offline   Reply With Quote