View Single Post
Old 04-29-12, 03:07 AM   #8
davidkaye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irina View Post
I spent several years on myspace and it was really good to get updates for the local bands, but I did not find it useful for advertising/networking. I never got any gigs from myspace,
Maybe you didn't but other have, which is why so many performers still use MySpace. It is super-simple to set up videos and MP3s, photos, band descriptions, and personalizations, far easlier than with Facebook. When I book shows I can get everything I need, including publicity photos from MySpace. With Facebook you often have to "friend" the performer, which is annoying in itself if you just want to grab some stuff to promote their show.

Quote:

but I got several parties from 'friends of friends" on facebook, and met whole bunch of interesting local people - you become friends online, and them bump into each other at festivals and - viola! - more people to say hello to!
I don't believe it is possible to become friends with people you have not physically met. This is why I do not accept friend offers on Facebook. It happens that I know over 300 people personally, and it's nice to know that they're doing and such, but this does not take the place of friendship. People who say otherwise are only kidding themselves. You can't be a friend unless you've seen that person at both their high points and low points. This has to happen in person. It's just simply too easy for people to appear way different online than in person.

Quote:

Plus you subscribe to all the venues and bands you like and get invitations to events.
Even before Facebook I was getting invitations to more events than I could possibly attend. Now it's overload. As I write this I'm checking my Facebook and I have received invitations for 28 different events for tomorrow (Sunday), shows and two dinners. Sheesh! I'm only expecting to see Misisipi Mike at the Glen Park street fair.

Quote:

We have this famous New Orleans second line dancer "Dancing Man 504" - he made himself super-famous with facebook - 4000 friends and he posts something every day - so whenever you check your daily newsfeed - Dancing Man 504 is ALWAYS there...and people tag his pictures, so it ends up in newsfeed too...
And I just looked over at his page and I had to log in to see anything. Facebook forces you to have an account before you can see any of this promotion. Sorry, but I still think MySpace is the cat's pajamas.
davidkaye is offline   Reply With Quote